Alan "reasonably dangerous" Berman (lost1) wrote,
Alan "reasonably dangerous" Berman

Today, a recap

It's been a ridiculously long time since I've so much as glanced at LJ, let alone posted anything. I always have some grandiose plans to rejoin the ranks of LJ and spill all manner of interesting things about my life onto the intarwebs, but then life sidetracks me and I end up with... no LJ post. Today I will shrug off the curse of no time for LJ... if only just for today.

My wife Sarah and I spent the whole day together. (Still getting used to the concept of having a wife, but it's a good getting-used-to.) It was an absolutely gorgeous day today. We rode our bikes down the mountain we call home and to a great breakfast place in The Mission called Boogaloo's. Typically there's a line out the door and down the block to get a seat there... today, no waiting at all, just rode right up, locked our bikes, and sat down at one of the sidewalk tables outside. Damn good coffee cake... not quite as good as Hobee's (for those of you bay area peeps who're familiar with them) but still darn good.

We overhear some people talking about heading down to the Civic Center (that's SF city hall) to protest the passing of CA Proposition 8 (repealing gay marriage). Boogaloo's is about 2 miles away from Civic Center and even that far away there's an obvious presence of people heading towards CC to go to the protest. People carrying signs and wearing Tshirts, etc. We finished up our breakfast and headed off to join the protest.

It was a huge throng of people. We stayed for about 45 minutes, meandering our way through the crowd, trying to hear the people shouting stuff into the PA system, but it was difficult at best. The crowd just kept growing too... by the time we left it had nearly doubled and showed no signs of letting up anytime soon. It made me happy to know that while greater California may be full of homophobic religious zealotry, my town is about as polar opposite of that as one can get.

I have a game I like to play, in which I try to spot at least 5 people I know from work every weekend. This is just my best guesstimate as to how many people I bump into on average, but I lately I've come to think of it as a quota. I only saw 2 at the protest. I'm sure there were probably many more, but spotting them would've been harder than finding Waldo in a pile of fake Waldos.

Sarah pointed out that we were being rather cavalier about the gay marriage issue. Which, admittedly, we were. We were mostly just there people watching. I mean, I'm glad to have been there and shown my support, but when it came right down to it, I felt like a spectator more than a participant. I don't agree with Prop 8, I didn't vote for it, I'll gladly sign petitions to have it repealed, but when it comes right down to it, it doesn't affect me directly, and thus I'm less compelled to take significant action about it. Which I realize is total B.S. -- human rights / equality issues are about me, they're about everyone. Sure, maybe this time I'm not the oppressed one, but what about the next time some dumbass proposition gets put on the ballot? In retrospect, I'm ashamed I didn't get more involved while I was there. :\

We rode our way west away from the protest and over to Golden Gate Park. We stopped to look at the bison. They weren't doin' much... just sitting around in the sun. Y'know, as bison tend to do.

We rode further west. We came across some guys racing model speed boats in one of the ponds. Those things are freakin' fast. I'd estimate they were going at least 40mph... which, in a smallish pond, is quite impressive. There was a guy using a fishing rod trying to hook and reel in one of the other boats which had apparently run out of fuel in the middle of the pond. I think he succeeded in rescuing it right about the time we left.

We continued all the way west to Ocean Beach. Ocean Beach was pretty busy, it being a beautiful day n' all. Lots of surfers. Sarah n' I went barefoot and played some frisbee. I sometimes forget I live near the ocean, because I rarely see it. Yes, sadly I live like 4 miles away from the ocean and I almost never see it. It's not exactly on the way to anywhere I go frequently, and it's generally obscured from my view by a mountain. I've adapted to living near mountains, but the ocean still feels weird.

We left the beach and headed back through GG park. We stopped for some Jamba Juice. We headed back to SoMa (neighborhood South of Market Street) to check out the GreenFestival which was pretty awesome.  Lots of neo-hippies hocking their wares.  Sarah shopped for some pants.  We had a knish.  (You'd be amazed how hard it is to find a damn knish in this town.)

We biked back to The Mission to catch the bus up the hill home.  (Sarah doesn't like biking up the hill. I've mostly come to terms with having to bike up it.)  We sat on the bus bench and waited... suddenly surrounded by 3 obnoxious teenage girls and an even more obnoxious teenage boy.  Seriously, they were standing around us like we were a damn coffee table.  Gotta love urban youth. :\

We got on the bus... made it about 8 blocks, and then the guy across from us starts puking all over himself.  Not once, not twice, not even three times... FOUR TIMES IN A ROW.   He was barely conscious as it was... presumably drunk as hell.  He looked a bit like Terrence Howard but older, shorter, and covered in puke.  I alerted the bus driver, who promptly stopped the bus, and confronted Not-Terrence.  Not-Terrence had no idea where he was or where he was going.  I think the bus driver managed to determine that Not-Terrence was, in fact, trying to get somewhere in The Mission, which is exactly where the bus had just left (we were in Noe Valley now).  Upon ejecting Not-Terrence from the bus, the bus driver told everyone to get off the bus because it was no longer in service.  MUNI policy dictates that biohazards must be cleaned up before a bus can be in use again.  We all got off the bus.  Some woman started bitching about not-Terrence
being so inconsiderate and now an entire busload of people have to wait 20 minutes for the next bus.  Sarah ranted a bit (to me, not the woman... we left her behind) that it's better to have sickly drunk people on the bus than to have them trying to drive themselves home.  I would have to agree.

We stopped by at the market on the way home to get groceries for dinner. I was impatient for the next bus so I biked up the hill to get the car to drive back down to pick Sarah and the groceries up.  Stir fry.  We watched some Buffy as we ate it.  Yes, you read that right. I'm finally watching Buffy.  Which has the unfortunate side-effect of denying me the title of being the world's foremost authority on a show I've never watched.  I kinda liked being an expert on something I know nothing about.  Ah well.

Which brings me to ... posting this LJ!

* * *

As most of you know, I've been working for The Chocolate Factory down in Mountain View for the past year.  They treat me amazingly well, which includes a chartered bus to drive me to and from work every day. Which is tough to beat, but Mountain View is about an hour away... and an hour on a bus is still an hour on a bus, no matter how nice the bus is.  The commute means I wake up at 6:30am every day, work a 9am to 6pm shift, have a bit of dinner, catch a shuttle bus home, and on an average day, get back 8pm.  I then go to bed around 10pm.  Rinse, repeat... Monday thru Friday.  If they didn't treat me so well I'd never have stuck with this job.  I love my coworkers, I love what I do, and well... the benefits are really nice, so yeah, I put up with the fact that I have very little life outside of work.  As part of my job, I and my fellow TechStop Administrators are  theoretically cogs in a big machine, able to be moved to any building in a time of need.  They rearrange what buildings we work in with little or no warning.  When I first started, I moved from buildings CL4 to 1501 to 1945 and then back to CL4... all within about 3 months.  It made it difficult to get to know the people in any given building, being moved that frequently.  Also, different buildings house different departments, and with each new department comes a bevy of specialized software and hardware issues.  To be really effective one needs to be familiar with the needs of the people in any given building... which is hard to do when they keep moving you.

Back in February of this year they finally stopped moving me around and let me settle in building CL4.  I've gotten to know the majority of the people in the building, and I've made some good friends there.  It's nice to feel at home when at work -- after all, I spend a large portion of my life there.

This past Friday my team lead calls me in for a quickie meeting at 4:55pm.  There's an opening in the SF office -- do I want it?!

I love CL4.  I love The Chocolate Factory campus. I love my friends in Mountain View...  but working out of the SF office means regaining ~3 hours per day of my life.  I can bike to work in less than 30 minutes.  No more bus.  No more waking up at dawn.

No more CL4.

As of Monday I'm a full time city dweller once again.  It's been a long time.  I'm kinda annoyed they gave me so little warning... I didn't even have a chance to say some proper goodbyes to all my CL4 peeps. :(  I think I may request a special "one last day" at CL4 sometime soon.  I know several of my fellow TechStop guys would love an excuse to work in SF for a day.  We'll see.  Meanwhile, I'm excited to start my "new" old job. :)
  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened